Valentine's Day is just around the corner and though I may not celebrate the actual meaning of Valentine's Day (well in a sense I do )who wouldn't love a gift or two to commemorate the Holiday?February 14th only equaled into a day of love way back when young lovers wanted to get married and it was outlawed. Needless to say the stories about who started valentine's day has changed as the years have changed and as much as I would like to give you a history lesson on the real reason we celebrate Valentine's Day that's not what we are here for , so let's get to the business at hand. GIFTS!
If you're like me practical gifts make the best gifts. So before you run out the house at the last minute to buy a teddy bear and a card please read this first. Again if you're anything like me I don't want a bear , I don't read cards, I can buy myself a candy bar and well flowers grow outside. So here is a simple guide on buying the best gifts for practical people.
- Watch what they like. If your spouse or girlfriend is obsessed with a certain item take note of the item . Keep up with their latest purchase and then look and see where you can buy them their next item. I'm not a collector but when I was younger my mother collected these dolls ( All God's Children). They were a rare find , meaning you couldn't just walk in a store and find them so if she got them it was something memorable. My Dad kept her collection growing until they were discontinued. Also have a conversation with them about the item because there was a time I liked something and I would have rather I purchased them for myself. Sometimes women are strange like that, where our independent ways can get in the way of an easy gift.
- Lasting Gifts . I personally love these sort of gifts . One year when I was 20 years old my mother bought me a bed for Valentine's day. I kept the bed for a number of years , it moved with me to my first home and every time I looked at it I said ...I got this for Valentine's Day and it made me super proud to say that . It doesn't even have to be as big as a bed it could be something as small as a light fixture for a closet or a lamp for your bedroom or a chair for your blogging desk but it should be something that will have to look on for years to come.
- Expensive isn't always best. I have to confess I have expensive taste. When I go to a department store to shop my eye for fashion often gets in the way of my budget. But just because it's expensive doesn't mean that is best. Sometimes its just about Quality. Valentine's is the best time to shop for Quality things at a lower price. Take advantage of those after Christmas sales! Coats for the next season is always a great investment and it won't break the bank. Who wouldn't want an extra coat for Valentine's Day and guess what ...it's a lasting gift . Well as long as it stays in season.
- NO ONE REALLY WANTS CANDY. I get the idea that everyone wants to get sweets for their sweet . But if its not chocolate from Switzerland or Italy I don't want it . I have a stash of chocolate somewhere in the house and lets all face it , the candy has been in the stores since Christmas ...I'd like something a little fresher. LOL So unless your partner only eats candy once a year and this is that once, scratch the chocolate off the list . Well unless you mean a chocolate diamond in that case head on over to Kay's and you might find one for $24. Who knows?
- MOST WOMEN LOVE HANDBAGS/Shoes . If you know me well you know that I carry a good bag and I usually ( not as much as my mom) have a great pair of shoes on when I step out. You can never go wrong with a handbag or shoes. But listen do not buy any handbags from anyone's house, if you are not shopping at a department store or ordering directly from the company it ain't right. And just because its not a Louis Vuitton ( although I'd like a new one ) doesn't mean its not good. Just make sure the leather is good. And it's something that she would like . In my case I would rather have a Tory Burch or something like it .
- Electronics. One year when the Kindle first came out I got a Kindle for a gift. Although I don't use it much now , it was a wonderful gift and something that I was so proud to have. Other things you may consider is apple watches, fit bits, small tv's for your closet, iphones , cameras (go pro) or even an Alexa.
- Perfume. It's a simple gift it works as long as you know what she likes. Don't go out experimenting and bring back something that she would hate.
- NO FLOWERS! If you want flowers why not plant flowers for the spring to come , buy a tree but make it something that lasts. Wouldn't it be a great story to tell your kids that you guys planted that tree during Valentine's 2018. And spend years to come watching that tree grow and shade a portion of your yard that needs it.
- Jewelry- Every women deserves some diamond earrings and if you don't have any by now (this is the BEST idea I've had yet.) here is your opportunity . Valentine's were meant for Diamonds. You will thank me later, a Karat or two will suffice .
- MOST UNCONVENTIONAL . 1 year supply of Starbucks ( Or your favorite Coffee shop) , A Gas Card, 1 Year of Full Service Car Detailing, a monthly make up box subscription. A Prime subscription, Fit Stitch or Fabletics 1 year subscription, 1 year Blue Apron Subscription , 1 year subscription to POP SUGAR . Netflix Subscription paid for 1 year , I could go on.
There are so many different ways to show love and purchase the best things and put a smile on her face at the same time...well Basically